On January 12th, 2013 I took this screenshot while watching a Sea Shepherd live stream from Taiji. This is an image of a piece of white sided dolphin that fell off of a truck during transport. This animal was swimming in the cove just a couple of hours previously.
Why am I showing you this? Because this is what the captive industry supports. The big money makers from these drives are the dolphins that are taken in to be enslaved as circus performers for the rest of their lives. The rest? Well, they end up like the ones pictured above. Destined to be cooked and sold for human consumption. That’s right. People are eating animals that are just as sentient and intelligent as they are.
While SeaWorld may no longer be purchasing animals from these drives, they did once. And they are still creating the demand to see these animals in the captive environment which is the reason they still have a hefty bounty on their melons.
If the public no longer showed an interest in seeing these animals performing circus tricks in cement fish bowls, there would be no demand to supply. No animals would need to be taken from the wild to keep up with the ones dying in captivity or new abusement parks opening their doors to droves of gawkers.
This is not only an issue of captivity though. Only a small number of animals are “lucky” enough to survive. If you want to call witnessing your family being slaughtered, being transported to a tiny box with strangers, force fed foreign food, and often being bullied… lucky.
The problem is how do we get the dolphin hunters of Taiji to stop this horrendous act? It always come down to three things:
- Food. A small number of people actually eat dolphin meat. Which is good, because it is HORRIBLE for you! But here’s the thing… They often lable it as whale meat to trick more people into eating it! Why are people eating whale meat anyway!? JAPAN WTF!?
- Pest control: Hey guess what? The dolphins were here before you. If there is less fish in the ocean it’s because of HUMANS. HUMANS are the ones who are overfishing and depleating the ocean of it’s fish NOT the dolphins. YOU are the pests CONTROL YOURSELVES.
- Cultural tradition: This has already been proved over and over in Taiji to be complete and total BS. Thank you and goodnight.
Here are some steps that you can take to help this situation:
- Cut back or eliminate your seafood consumption.
- DO NOT GO TO MARINE PARKS!!!! Boycott places like SeaWorld (and Busch Gardens as they are owned by SeaWorld), Marineland, Miami Seaquarium, Shedd Aquarium, Georgia Aquarium, Vancouver Aquarium, Mystic Aquarium, etc.
- Educate. Educate! EDUCATE!
Spread the word about the horrifying things that are happening in Taiji. I know this is from last year, but guess what? These things are still happening! It’ll start again in September. Let people know about overfishing, as this is a HUGE contribution to the health of our oceans!
Note: Please let me know if there are any tags you would like me to add to this. I know this is a very disturbing image and it may bother some of you, I have added all the tags I can think of, but I know I probably have missed some.
I am putting the images of my reply under a cut because the above image is tame compared to what is done to get that meat- it is horrific, but a truth we as a people must face. Below the cut is a severe gore warning, I will tag accordingly. If you are easily triggered by cruelty, do not click. you were warned!